Tuesday 6 March 2007

My woolly mess pics



As promised, I am here to post pictures of my wooly mess, destickied, washed and dried. I was quite surprised at how intense the colour turned out as I thought the strawberry jelly would make more of a pink colour. When I mixed the wine jelly, the colour was very similar to the strawberry soi I added quite a bit of natural food colour (blue) that came in a pack of four coulours that I bought for Austy's 1st birthday cake icing (wanting to keep the artificial colours out of him). They were no good as food colours as I needed so much to make them work unlike normal artificial colours that take the tiniest drop, so I didn't care about emptying half of the blue to my jelly for a dyeing cause.

I think I like this (it's growing on me) and I call it "Bubbleberry sorbet" as it reminds me of mixed berry icecream and bubblegum icecream all rolled into one. Just as I was taking the photo (making the most of natural light to showcase the colours properly) this happened...



...and just like that, a certain little person ran off down the hall with my precious sample. Not to worry I figured, I'll get him into bed and pick it up when I come out of his room (after his bedtime feed). That would have been fine, but in the meantime a certain furry friend decided to be playful (9yr old Siamese - Gryffin, my other baby) and the end result was a tangled mess that I am STILL trying to ball up, hours later...




Another knitting advance for me tonight (last night's was the dyeing) - I learned to graft, and completed my first sock. I mean REALLY completed it, and it's currently keeping the toes of one foot warm. I will make another one I promise, but I need a break from 5 needles. I love my new sock though and have finally decided that I love the colour too.






6 comments:

Laura.Y said...

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by. I love the colourway of Bubbleberry sorbet. What will you be knitting with it?

Austysmum said...

Still no idea what it will be turned into laura as it's such a small amount. Perhaps a baby hat?

Heki said...

The sock looks great! Sock knitting is addictive...I made about 7 pairs last year, plus a couple pairs of gloves, they look so great in the self striping sock yarn!
Love you Kool Aid dyeing. I will have to order some Kool Aid to do my own. I have done food dye dyeing which I am knitting into a soaker at the moment as the colours aren't really me but will make for a very cute little bottom oneday!

Austysmum said...

Heki - it's just jelly from my local coles - 89c a pack and gorgeous colours for that price! THought I'd try soemthing Aussie before ordering Koolaid from teh US. Give it a go - it was so easy! Just boil some water, dissolve jelly crystals with enough jelly to cover the wool, dip in the wool and zap in the microwave on high for 2mins. Turn it over and zap again for more even colour, or leave it as is for a fade effect as it will be lighter towards the surface of the water. A sinch!

Lynne said...

I love that sock - the patter and the colour.

I have never been interested in knitting socks but with so many bloggers knitting socks I am becoming more and more intrigued.

Can you tell me where you got the pattern please?

www.2hot2knit.blogspot.com

Austysmum said...

Here it is lynne:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATTmonkey.html

The yarn is Patons Patontyle 4 ply premium wool blend in colour 4306

I was the same as you - never knitted a sock in my life except for baby socks knitted in the flat, but the bloggers got to me, especially when I found that gorgeous (and easy) pattern!