Monday 16 April 2007

And I found the sewing machine..

Under all my nappy fabric stashes and pattern books, there on my sewing table sitting shiny and neglected were my poor sewing machine, overlocker and snap press. They haven't been able to run thread through them for a while because, lets face it, knitting is much easier to do at the end of a long work day, and I can just zone out in front of the TV while I knit, or if I'm in a super productive mood, I can watch a lecture while I knit. But when we had a few cool days just the other week, I realised that Austy had outgrown all his long pants, bar two pairs! Luckily it got wqarm again, giving me time to knock up these stripey trousers before it gets cool again like Autumn should.




They are a bit big on purpose as I wanted to make sure they had a bit of extra length on his size 1's as I'm sure he has to have a growth spurt soon. He has been 12kgs since he was about 11m old and hasn't grown much in height since then either. But they just look so wide. Like baby rave pants! I sized them up against his other pants and they're not any wider, so it must be the stripes. I think I prefer patterns with the knee darts but I could probably do those in this pattern next time I use it based on my other pants pattern. I was going to topstitch in kahki or white, but decided the print was busy enough as it was. I might modify the pockets next time too - they look odd without the horizontal top stitching on the top edge. Or maybe I could add pocket flaps that button shut?





And here is another shot of my wool from the weekend. I can't wait to knit with it but must finish a couple of projects first, namely the ISE4 scarf and hand dyed surprise.



Finally, one of the EB ladies pointed me in the direction of an old soft toy book on ebay, which reminded me of a similar book I had, and this half finished doll project I just had to make from it. She has also got a knitted singlet and a fitted cloth nappy, but Austy's (baby boy) doll has pinched them for now. The knitted singlet is so cute, I might just have to knit another so that both dolls can have them. This doll was started for my niece's first birthday, but I couldn't get the face right so she was sent to the unfinished projects box for a few years (my niece is now in school!) I think she's served her time now though, so might finish her off for DH's niece's second birthday - I have till the 4th November so that should be plenty of time.








Sorry my photos are a bit off tonight - I am hopeless without natural light!

7 comments:

Helen said...

Oh! Love these strippey pants! Very funky for your little man! Welcome to the blog ring too! :)

Corrie said...

gorgeous pants!!!! love them and the colours match the yarn!

Corrie:)

mames said...

great pants, such a colorful stripe. thanks for the comps over at the baby bumper site...i am really loving your hand dyed. something i would love to try after bedrest and raising 2 babies settle down...like in 18 years.

Cass said...

Love those pants and the doll is cute too

Andrea said...

I just love those pants. Your whole blog is just great. I think you could convince me to try knitting!

Anonymous said...

Where did you get the pattern for the doll? It is wonderful!

Austysmum said...

The doll is from an old 70's pattern book called soft toys to knit sew and crochet. The doll was the besat as she has knitting and sewing and some craft (to make the mdf base carry bed) involved in her making.