Friday 7 November 2008

Doll Quilt Swap big reveal

Today was our big opening day for all of the parcels all over the country. Unfortunately I am one of the last to receive mine again (I think I am jinxed!!!) however it's not the fault of the stitcher so much as a stuff up with the post office and confusion over my address. Austy's Dad found my quilt parcel on the way to work and has it there now, so I will have to wait until morning to open mine, but am just happy it is safe and sound! It was a big emotional roller coaster saga afternoon while I hunted down the rogue quilt so a huge relief that I know it will be sleeping under my roof late tonight when he gets home from work.


In the mean time, I can reveal the whole quilt I made. I called it "Little Island Discoveries" as it was made for Kira, a cute little girl who was born the same week as Austy, and who know lives on a little island where she has tonnes of space to explore and make her own island discoveries this summer. Her Mum Kylie said she was after something fun and bright, so I worked with that, and the island theme. Of course I got a little carried away with the miniture embroideries (each less than an inch square) but enjoyed the process of paper piecing - this being my first paper pieced quilt. The pieces are really quite tiny so it took a lot of time, but it was challenging and rewarding. To give it a more finished look I added the tiny appliques at the bottom and it was quite difficult to keep my stitches neat and even due to the size of the appliques. The backing fabric was just perfect for the quilt - something that jumped out at me from equilter whilst selecting sea colours, and I just knew I had to have it for Kira's little quilt.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

We love it Joy! Kira wanted to take it to the beach this afternoon and insisted on it being on her bed for her nap today. Thank you so much, it's gorgeous!

Sarahau said...

Wow Im jealous! that is amazing!!

Lily Mulholland said...

Great job Joy :) I like your wavy quilting in the borders too.

Emma said...

This really is a gorgeous quilt, Joy! All the details are perfect!

Natalie said...

Wow Joy, this is just stunning, the embroidery really is adorable. You must be so proud of your first paper piecing - you've done a fantastic job!