Saturday 14 November 2009

I have a kindy boy!

Austin started pre-entry kindy just over a week ago (so has now been to two Friday morning sessions). He absolutely loves it, and listens intently to the teachers (we wish he could do this at home a little more...) and both times has been having too much fun to leave, staying for the playgroup session that follows pre-entry. He has been going to playgroup there all year which we believe has helped the transition into kindy, and isn't too fussed about having us leave.
So what has this got to do with my crafty blog? Remember the MadeByRae backpack giveaway I crossed my fingers to win a little while ago? Well I didn't win, but the cuteness factor of that backpack had me kind of obsessed. I blogged my supplies here, and now can show you the final result.
I used medium weight canvas from kokka called Toyland as I thought this would be good at hiding the dirt that kindy boys seem to attract. The contrast is just a plain lime green drill. I couldn't find any piping to go with the fabric, so made my own (a first for me) which wasn't as difficult as I'd expected it to be, especailly using a zipper foot to stitch nice and close to the cord.
The straps are made with cotton webbing rather than the nylon stuff prescribed in the pattern as I am anti-plasticky fake stuff when kids have to wear it! I also interfaced all the pieces (except the handle) with a light weight fusible interfacing to ensure the bag had shape. I wasn't too worried about the extra thickness, as I knew my machine could hack it with a new denim needle and quilting foot in use.


I decided to embroider his name onto a name label so that the bag could be identified by kindy staff (although somehow they couldn't help him find his bag at fruit time on Friday so I have since showed them...) without being able to give strangers his name as he walks around with the bag on his back. The cute little plane embroidery was one of the standard Janome ones that came witgh my sewing machine, but how perfectly does it go with the fabric?! I just HAD to use it.
The bag is so cute with everything in small scale - those straps are just over an inch wide, and the chair used in the top picture is a tiny toddler chair. I see one of these cute bags in the future for Madelyn too. Not that she could wear it yet, but I'm sure it won't be long as she copies everything Austin does, even trying to put on his goggles at swimming this morning! As she grows older, I will need to carry less with me, and this bag would easily fit a spare cloth nappy, wipes, changemat, change of clothes and a toy or two for short trips out. I put all of Austy's kindy things in there (a change of clothes, small lunchbox, hat and cup) and there was still surprisingly plenty of spare room.
I have to say this was one of the most enjoyable projects I have made all year. The last step was a little fiddly (going around those corners with the piping in place) but the rest of it was fun as I could see the cuteness being created before my eyes! I can't rave enough about this bag pattern, and recommend it to all sewers with a child under 5.

11 comments:

The kids said...

So very cute! So scary when your first one goes off to Kindy!

Raewyn said...

I love it! It looks so well made. Well done! x

Emma said...

Wow! Well done, it looks amazing!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this! Soooo cute, hope the other kindy mum's don't find out you made it...they will ALL want one!

AJ said...

Cute Bag Joy! Can you link me the pattern??

Unknown said...

It's gorgeous! I love the name tag.

amummy said...

The bag looks gorgeous. I have been eying of that pattern for a while so glad to hear that it wasn't too bad to sew.

Bellgirl said...

Wow! I'm making one with the same pattern for my Bug, I hope it turns out looking as good as yours!

You're resourceful making your own piping! I have trouble finding line green fabrics too: http://bellgirl.com.au/2009/07/anyone-would-think-lime-green-was-going.html

Virginia G said...

So cute!

My girl will be going off to kindergarten next year... sniff...

Kira said...

Love it Joy! I am making the same bag for Ned for when he starts preschool next year and I only hope it looks as good as Austins does :)

Lisa said...

looks awesome!!
ive sewed one tote bag is this pattern easy to follow ?