Wednesday 30 April 2008

Newborn colour


I am struggling to keep up in here lately. Austy will not have day naps anymore, so is very tired by the end of the day when I'm trying to cook and then I have a huge mess to clean up when I finally win the battle to get him into bed, which eats into my sewing, knitting, quilting time. I have quite a few baby gifts in progress for all these new babies popping into the world this year, so am happy to say that this one has been DELIVERED!! I thought I'd better get it to her before she grows out of it. These little longies landed at Natalie's house for her sweet little princess Cheriese. I even got to have a good cuddle while I was there, despite it being a very rushed visit as Austy was wreaking havoc at home while his Dad was trying to run cables through the roof and needed me home to help him out.

This little pair was made using the picky pants pattern from little turtle knits, and I tried out the ruffle edge. There was no photo of it on the pattern so I was very scared it would turn out bad... but I really started to like them once they settled a bit after my cast off. I dyed the wool with a bit of jelly (the blue and pink and a touch of the lavender) and with Kool Aid (still loving that stash my lovely bag swapper sent me from the US last year!) was used to get the deep purple and bright green. It was nice to knit with such happy colours. I was kicking myself for hiding the wool in the cupboard for a week thinking the dye job was bad (I was shocked at how dark the purple came out). It wasn't so bad after all!

Oh, and I am absolutely addicted to swaps, and it really must stop! I am not getting a study break this year as I have set a deadline for myself that I MUST finish my Masters by December, so I really need to stop overcomitting myself with so many babies on their way and assignments to do. But I will just do one more swap to end my addiction for a little while! ;) I have signed up for the Sassy Apron Swap. I liked the idea of making an apron that is quite simple to make and would let me play with some designs of my own. Then, browsing through flickr for inspiration lead me to this pattern. I think I am in love! It is an apron that DOESN'T make you look frumpy, is very modern and in the right fabric would look FABULOUS. Now I'm tossing up whether to order that pattern (just because I love it so much) or make one of my sketches a reality. Better get cracking, I have 4 weeks!

11 comments:

Tracy said...

The ruffles worked out great. Well done.

lolliegirl said...

Oh I LOVE the pants! They are gorgeous. Lovely colours.. I can't wait to see a photo of Cheriese wearing them :)

Kylie said...

Oh Joy - you have done a wonderful job - I love the colours - will have to get my hands on some kool aid one of these days!

Natalie said...

These are the most adorable pants! Cheriese is wearing them today so I just set up a mini photo shoot with her, will get the photos of her in them up on my blog later this afternoon. Thanks again Joy, it is lovely to receive a gift made with such love xx

Sue said...

Oh what cute little longies, and I love the colors too.

Heids said...

Love, love, love those longies!!!! Love the pattern and love the colours - just gorgeous!

I too love that emmeline apron pattern and have been eyeing it off for a while...maybe I should have joined the swap for an excuse to buy the pattern. Can't wait to see what you come up with for your apron swap.

Kerry said...

Joy,
They are the most gorgeous little longies so sweet cant wait to see Cherise in them

Kerry

mames said...

oooh, so glad i found your blog again. at first i thought you had another little bambina, but i think not? i love the doll quilt in the previous post, so very pretty and detailed. and austy look like a grown boy. how do our babies get to grow up so fast?

Lily Mulholland said...

CUTE! Joy, Rom was trying to ditch her daysleep too. Someone suggested we lay down with her until she went off to sleep. It's working so far! Maybe worth a shot if you haven't already?

AJ said...

SOOOOOOO CUTE!!!! Just perfect for a cute baby girl!!

Ellie said...

Just beautiful Joy you clever sod.