Seems to be the theme for everything I have been making lately... I always think there are more hours in the day than there actually are and as a result start things that take ages to finish! And this one is finished just in time, I think. I give you... the "Wombat zippie"!
I tried it on Austy the other day, when all that was left was to stitch that pesky zip in. In fact that has been all it was waiting for, for a long while. But first I bought the wrong length zip, so went and bought another one and went to stitch it in, only to find that it was a dress zip and not the open ended zip I needed. It was a good thing though, because then I found this one, a much better colour match than the chocolate brown one I had (this is more of a wombat brown), and I like the chunky look of it much more than the standard ones. There was a big problem however - the chunky zips have quite chunky reinforcing at the bottom! It has a VERY hard plastic coated bottom that was IMPOSSIBLE to push a needle through, so I tacked it all down as best I could and (fear of fears) ran my knitting under the sewing machine!!! I'm not entirely happy with it as the tacking didn't stop it from stretching as I went and the tops of the pockets don't line up properly but there was no other way of getting that zip on there, unless I went and swapped it for a chocolate brown non chunky one which didn't have the plastic coating.
Not perfect... but FINALLY... done.
Austy will be snuggly warm this winter.
Oh, and a swap update. I am stalking my letterbox daily! I should soon have a DQS3 quilt in there waiting for me, and I have ordered some bright summery fabric for the Apron Swap. I will post pics as soon as the postie does his job.