Thursday 24 July 2008

Starting a new quilt


Here is the first block for a new baby quilt - the first time I am using a pattern! I decided it's about time I followed a pattern as it might teach me something. So far I am learning how to applique the traditional way (with hidden stitches, all by hand). It will certainly test my patience as I am a slow hand stitcher who really doesn't enjoy the process. Maybe I'll get better and faster... who knows. Then it will be time to work on my hand quilting!


In the meantime I will work on some machine pieced mini quilts for the baby's room. I found this gorgeous fabric that will certainly be a feature as it has those cute garden kids as well as the perfect shades of chocolate, pastel blue and deep red, that I have chosen for the baby's decor. I figured these colours would be fresh and modern, but also quite unisex and I couldn't believe it - Austy's Dad agreed! I was worried how he would take my suggestion of a deep red feature wall. Quite a brave move and I know my mother in law will have a heart attack when she sees it (when we get around to painting it) as it certainly doesn't match her traditional ideals of pastels and creams... but hey I know the baby will love it!

5 comments:

Leah said...

Cute quilt, Joy :) and I lurve that fabric!

mames said...

i love non-traditional baby rooms. they always get stuck with such pansy colors...this baby will be all the sharper for being stimulated by the red.

Ellie said...

I have been trying to convince DH to have a red feature wall in Ruby's room for ages so you are one up on me.

Well done I love the red/choc colour theme yummo.

Emma said...

This quilt is going to be beautiful! And I love your decorating ideas!

Morag said...

Great idea about a red feature wall Joy ~ I can't wait to see it. I don't think babies get much out of boring pastels anyway! Time to be brave!